We are almost halfway through the year and that means (assuming perfected discipline) we should all be halfway to reaching the goals we set for ourselves on New Years day! Did you catch that sarcasm? Yeah, needless to say I am NOT halfway to my goals and I thought it would be a great idea to checkin and remind myself of the goals I set this year in hopes that I can steer things back on track.
If you didn’t read my New Year’s Resolutions post back in January, check it out here! In that post I detailed out a few overarching focuses for 2018 that I had created after an exercise with Tim. We reflected on all of our 2017 highlights and determined either things that went well throughout the year (and wanted to continue in 2018) or things that were missing from the year (that we wanted to add to 2018). My top three focuses of the year were to:
#1 Build Deeper Relationships With Those Around Me: So far this year I feel like I’ve done a great job on this goal! In the last 5 months I have been much more intentional in building relationships. Tim and I took a trip with friends for the first time, I spent more time with my family, and even mended some relationships that have been strained for a long time. It is extremely fulfilling to finally be opening up to people and making an effort to make new friends. Putting myself out there and making an effort to make friends is something that is absolutely out of my comfort zone, but I am looking forward to continuing with it the rest of this year.
#2 Get to Know Myself Better: Part of this goal was to keep a journal daily so I could reflect and see my personal growth throughout the year. I kept a daily journal consistently for about the first 3 months of the year and then started traveling more and completely got out of my routine. I will be moving that journal back to my bedside tonight so I can close the end of the day with a little bit of writing!
#3 Get Out of My Comfort Zone: Re-reading this goal in my original post was a great reminder! I don’t think I have fully pushed this goal but I have been able to tap into a few things just through goal #1. I went to a conference at the end of April and Tim challenged me to make one new friend from within the group of women that I did not know at all. At first I avoided talking to anyone, but when I stopped overthinking it, I was able to have a wonderful conversation with a really sweet women. It’s so silly that I consider that outside of my comfort zone but since I’m so introverted it definitely was! Now, back to my original post: I have not taken a dance class so I guess I will have to do that fully accomplish this goal 🙂
There were also a few “to do” like goals that I listed previously. Here are my updates on those!
- Read the One Year Bible– this one is in the works! Of course I have missed a few days here and there but I picked up THIS one year bible and it has helped so much. I love that I can write in the margins on the side any verses and notes.
- Sign up for a pre-planned trip that is completely outside of my comfort zone- I have researched several trips and have my eye on a Bali blogging trip but haven’t actually taken the plunge yet. Tim and I have been doing a deep dive into our budget (more on that in another post) and that’s the main reason I haven’t purchased that just yet.
- Get out of bed early and seize the day– I’m very surprised to say that I have gotten much better at this! There is always room for improvement but I think I would actually say I prefer to be up early now. I am even considering changing my work hours to be earlier in the morning so I can work on my blog in the afternoons.
- Fall in love with the gym (ugh lol)- my arch nemesis. Still haven’t tackled this one just yet. I started the BBG workout program this past week and It’s kicking my butt. I also still have a membership to the gym that is close to us so I need to figure out my plan for keeping up the discipline for the long haul. One thing I am learning is forcing myself to fall in love with the gym is not the best tactic. Instead I need to find something I enjoy doing and build it into my routine until it becomes a habit.
- Spend less time on my phone– Let me ask Tim how he thinks I’m doing on this one…. he says he scores me at “room for improvement”. Guess I need to work on this one lol. I can absolutely agree with him too. I think I have gotten better at not being on my phone constantly but I’m still not fully present and can get quickly distracted mid conversation which is rude. (If you’re reading this, sorry babe!)
- Cook more and eat out less– Tim and I did Whole30 in the month of April so that made this goal very easy! We are finding a lot of inspiration for at home meals and I’ve been craving home cooked meals more than eating out. Its funny how that shift happens in your brain.
- Learn to drive stick shift- Forgot about this one! Still haven’t taken the time out for this.
- Compliment more strangers- I have had compliments galore recently but typically I say them out loud to myself and Tim vs. stopping the person and saying something to them. I want to get to that point by the end of this year!
- Make more of an effort to meet new people– check, check, and check!
- Read 50 books– I think this goal was a bit unrealistic! I have read 5 books so far this year (3 of which were in January) so I started off the year strong. What I didn’t factor in was other learning opportunities like podcasts and webinars. So I think I am going to revise this goal to be 25 books in the year!
- Grow in my vocal and guitar musicality- After setting this goal back in January, I signed up for the worship initiative, an online training course for musicians and worship leaders. I have so many videos to watch still but have already learned so much!
- Spend more quality time with Tim- my favorite times together this year have been experiencing new things together and having really deep conversations. We have had both of those in plenty so I’m feeling extremely blessed about that.
So there you have it! I would say I’m 50/50 with being on track to hit my goals for the year. Its never too late to get back in the game, and I’m going to be readjusting and revising my plan to make sure I end the year successfully. How are you doing on your goals? If you haven’t already, take some time today to stop and reflect on how far you have come, and what things you need to change to set yourself up for success!
Shop The Post
Monique McHugh blog uses affiliate links throughout posts. This means if you click and/or purchase through the links on this page, a small commission will be received in exchange. Please know this does not affect the price you pay, but simply provides a means for this blog to continue providing you with great reccommendations! All opinions and suggestions are always my own and it is my blog promise to never share anything on this blog that I do not truly love. Thank you for your continued support!
Hmmm, yes, I need to look back and see if I made any goals! Great prompting to do that! Way to go on refreshing some of your goals and making progress on some.
Thank you! Chugging along though I am definitely behind lol